Wat Suwannaram has existed since Ayutthaya was the capital of Thailand (1350 to 1767). It occupies an intriguing place in both history and literature. In 1774, on the orders of King Taksin, Burmese prisoners of war were executed on the temple grounds. Sunthorn Phu, Thailand’s greatest court poet, mentions Wat Suwannaram in his poem Nirad Pra Pathom (1842) as the temple where his younger sisters were cremated. Here also is found the reliquary – a grand pagoda – of Prince Suthat, another famous poet. The temple in addition has some of the most beautiful murals to be seen among temples in Thailand.